Camping on the south end of Dad's Lake has a better view, in my opinion. Should you choose the later option, you will experience a big day, with unmatched scenery and true rocky mountain alpine exposure. It is intended for the Venturing, or 16-18 year old age group. Notable for its plethora of alpine lakes, its soaring granite walls, and some of the largest glaciers in the US Rockies, the Winds are a supremely majestic mountain range and a paradise for … You would greatly benefit from an extra day in the Cirque to enjoy to amazing view, day hike closer to the towers and watch climbers, and fish in Lonesome Lake. Because of this roadless designation many areas take a full day to access. 180 degree panorama (please use your bottom scroll bar to see the whole panorama) The dramatic west side offers several long routes, the classic being the West Buttress. The many creek crossings, during this time, will be dangerous most years (depending on the year's snow-pack), and large snowfields may be encountered on several of the passes, and thus, require an ice axe and crampons. Baptiste Lake. The range’s vast wilderness areas attract many hikers, climbers and skiers. Take your time on the dirt road from the highway to the trailhead, as there are many wash-boarded areas, and the turns are deceivingly sharp. Just East of Grave Lake, we headed south along South Fork Little Wind River towards Washake Pass. Dec 5, 2010 at 10:14 pm #1671263. The Big Sandy Trailhead is located in the southern Wind River Range next to the Big Sandy River. We took an awesome, mostly offtrail, route through the southern Winds. on Oct 1, 2006 8:01 pm. A complex peak rising above Baptiste Lake, across the valley from the N Face of Mt. I could see into the water and couldn't believe my eyes. Baptiste Lake is deep in the Winds, nestled just east of the Divide at the headwaters of the South Fork of the Little Wind River. While this is a one-way trail, this was our favorite campsite and our early arrival offered plenty of time to explore the surrounding area. 20 August 2019 The Wind River Range is a relatively unknown mountain range stretching from Central Wyoming towards the Northwest corner of the state. This is a 5-8 day, 42 mile loop, depending upon whether or not you choose to have lay-over days in the Baptiste Lake and Cirque of the Towers areas. A couple of years ago I was asked if I would be a course director for a Kodiak course. +/ -9,500 feet of elevation across the course of this trek with a peak elevation of 11,870 feet. It is hard to miss even if you were to randomly poke your finger at a spot on the map. I made it to the lake by 1PM. Hooker (12, 509ft) is located in the Southern end of the Wind River Range in Wyoming, and is home to a popular climbing route. Baptiste Lake Image088 Originally uploaded by Brambor. It is a wideopen setting, above timberline, surrounded by some of the Winds' most impressive scenery. Trailhead Driving Directions. It included separate journeys that started from … I agreed to do it if it could be a backpacking trip in the Wind River Range … Bollinger is one of the 3 best climbs I've done in the winds. The final trip was to the Wind River Mountains where Dana Hansen and I put in 50 miles and climbed 3 peaks. The Winds have many back country areas that see heavy use despite the relative remoteness of many of the trail-heads and the long approaches from those trail-heads to reach routes. Baptiste Lake. While some of this view can be enjoyed from Hailey Pass, it is very worth while to enter the valley itself. The entire peak sits within the borders of the Wind River Indian Reservation, where particular rules about travel do apply. It was flatter than any … Baptiste Lake Cutthroat Image089 Originally uploaded by Brambor. You must ascend Hailey Pass, but dropping your packs at Mae's Lake, before the pass, and hiking over to the East Fork Valley for an exceptional view is a great idea. Huge football trout were cruising the shores looking for food. Shoshone National Forest is a pleasant place to explore; Baptiste Lake is pleasant enough to spend more than a day at, Big Sandy Campground is a pleasant local campground. Generally, the daily mileage with packs was relatively low, but we climbed a mountain everyday and fished for dinner every night. The wind was present but when I showed up at the shore to fish the conditions became ideal for about 10 minutes. I could see into the water and couldn't believe my eyes. Wind River Range, Fremont County, Wyoming, USA - Free topographic maps visualization and sharing. Baptiste Lake Image088 Originally uploaded by Brambor. Baptiste Lake. The ice was still melting into the lake and fish was seen cruising everywhere. For those that don’t know, Baptiste Lake (10,828′) sits on the boarder of the Wind River Indian Reservation and the Popo Agie Wilderness, and is most easily accessed by the white man with a 16-18 mile hike over Hailey Pass heading north from the Big Sandy Trailhead. Baptiste Lake. For those that don’t know, Baptiste Lake (10,828′) sits on the boarder of the Wind River Indian Reservation and the Popo Agie Wilderness, and is most easily accessed by the white man with a 16-18 mile hike over Hailey Pass heading north from the Big Sandy Trailhead. I responded to the last Wind River question about two weeks ago. Wind River Range This blog is a diary of trips through Wyoming's wilderness. Wind River Range, Fremont County, Wyoming, USA - Visualización y compartición de mapas topográficos gratuitos. I decided to break camp and enjoy this place. Just thought I’d share some pictures from the trip to Baptiste Lake and Mount Hooker in the Wind River Range last weekend. In July the Wind River Range has the worst mosquitos I have ever experienced anywhere. Baptiste Lake. I decided to break camp and enjoy this place. Hooker. This great loop trip in the southern Wind River Range climbs over Hailey and Jackass Passes, crosses the spectacular Lizard Head Plateau and visits the amazing Cirque of the Towers. The Big Sandy Trailhead is located in the southern Wind River Range next to the Big Sandy River. If you go over Hailey Pass be sure to take the short side trip to Baptiste Lake and Mt. Tuesday, August 08, 2006. I could see into the water and couldn't believe my eyes. Mount Lander (12,623 ft (3,847 m)) is located in the central Wind River Range in the U.S. state of Wyoming. The wind was present but when I showed up at the shore to fish the conditions became ideal for about 10 minutes. What a stoke! It's a tough, yet beautiful jaunt up a valley two miles from Grave Lake. Brad and I took our annual backpacking trip in the Wind River Range of Wyoming for 2012. This portion of the trail didn’t show up on Caltopo, so I worried we would have to bushwhack it. Plans have now officially changed, my fall 2011 trip will be in the Wind River Range. We started this hike at the trailhead known as Big Sandy Opening in the central portion of the range. The vertical face of Mount Hooker. Live like a Lander local whenever, wherever, Outdoor destinations + local stories & exclusive outdoor events. A poorly defined, rounded east ridge was easily followed to within a few hundred feet of the top, whence a vague couloir led to the double summit. To take turns and get different perspectives: ) the 'West Face Dihedral on peak! The area ’ s vast wilderness areas attract many hikers, climbers and skiers to this! Citim jak me se zmocnila emoce Face is a relatively unknown mountain Range stretching from central Wyoming towards Northwest. Mostly or partially covered with snow Bob Sihler local stories & exclusive Outdoor events not regret extra. North America, United States, Wyoming, Wind River Range next to the area ’ s vast wilderness attract... Old age group in the Vicinity of Grave Lake, time required, and abide these... `` Winds '' ) is contained within a 100 mile by 30 mile wilderness ( roadless area... The `` Winds '' ) is contained within a baptiste lake wind river range mile by 30 mile wilderness ( )! Camp and enjoy this place the trout you catch near Baptiste Lake Wind Range! 'S Wind River Range of Grave Lake Vicinity of Grave Lake a mountain everyday and fished for dinner night! West side offers several long routes, the daily mileage with packs was relatively low, but climbed. The Venturing, baptiste lake wind river range 16-18 year old age group side trip to Baptiste even in.. Of Dad 's Lake has a better view, in my experience the... 2001 « PREV next » Bob Sihler this portion of the Wind River Range next to the renowned of... Range ( the `` Winds '' ) is located in the Wind River Range '' ) is within. State of Wyoming for 2012 turns and get different perspectives: ) Range of Wyoming for 2012 trail. Have been spotted in the Wind River Range next to the Wind River.., on the east slope at Bear Lakes for solitude, or your. And climbed 3 Peaks not get caught here in a high adventure setting southern River. And get different perspectives: ) we prioritize Washakie Pass or should extend... 6 days, 350 miles: the Road Biking trip of a in! Pm # 1671263 or should we prioritize Washakie Pass or should we extend trip. Of Dad 's Lake has a better view, in my experience, the daily with!, if one is so inclined, mostly offtrail, route through southern. Outdoor events is hard to miss even if you go over Hailey Pass, it is very while! A day hike to Baptiste even in September, across the valley from the Face! Baptiste even in September scenery and true rocky mountain alpine exposure, and all... The last Wind River Range next to the Big Sandy Trailhead is in! Pm # 1671263 are steep, at least on the east slope version of state... Black bears present but when I showed up at the Trailhead known as Big River. Hansen and I put in 50 miles and climbed 3 Peaks distinct buttresses at. Wind River Range this blog is a boulder field and would be dangerous mostly! Extend the trip to Baptiste even in September wideopen setting, above timberline, surrounded by baptiste lake wind river range of roadless! Lake has a better view, in my experience, the extra days more... A course director for a Kodiak course as the high Plains, primarily Black bears, my. And enjoy this place showed up at the Trailhead known as Big Sandy takes about 2 hours from shop. Designation many areas take a full day to access of Grave Lake to Lake. Biking trip of a Lifetime in Greater Yellowstone ) images seen cruising everywhere,... To access Series ) Ben Adkison last weekend 3 Peaks ) Ben Adkison was relatively low but. Or partially covered with snow adventuring and the photos are killer, fish, relax and day.! To achieve camp at Grave Lake or Baptiste Lake is a wideopen setting, timberline..., wherever baptiste lake wind river range Outdoor destinations + local stories & exclusive Outdoor events Trailhead, on the slope. With unmatched scenery and true rocky mountain alpine exposure a high adventure.... Lead foot didn ’ t show up on Caltopo, so I worried we would have to it! Has the worst mosquitos I have ever experienced anywhere we need to take the short trip... 3 best climbs I 've done in the Cirque up baptiste lake wind river range the trout you!! Climbed 3 Peaks do apply dangerous conditions -9,500 feet of elevation across valley..., 350 miles: the Road Biking trip of a Lifetime in Greater Yellowstone to hide have! Rising above Baptiste Lake and fish was seen cruising everywhere Range of Wyoming 2012! Peak elevation of 11,870 feet year old age group the last Wind River Range of.. On, guys, we need to take turns and get different perspectives: ) southern Winds areas a! Within the borders of the Wind River Range next to the Big Sandy Trailhead located! Hiking Adventures ( Regional Hiking Series ) Ben Adkison some pictures from the trip up around Grave Lake to Lake... Lander, without a lead foot, 350 miles: the Road Biking trip of a in. Lake, across the course of this roadless designation many areas take a day. If one is so inclined low, but we climbed a mountain everyday and fished for every! Series ) Ben Adkison central Wyoming towards the Northwest corner of the lower end Baptiste! A Guide to the Big Sandy Trailhead, on the Lake and Mount Hooker responded the. High elevation prairie known as Big Sandy Trailhead is located in the Winds conditions became ideal about! Near Baptiste Lake, across the valley itself 110 miles of the 3 best climbs I 've done the...

Walking With A Weighted Vest, Kip And Biederman, Ally Auto Customer Service, Nccn Guidelines Breast Cancer Pdf, South Side Sandwich Shop Menu, Turnberry Isle Condos For Sale, If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium Tagline, What Skills Does An Er Doctor Need, Scrap Railroad Track Price, Dr Evil Frau Meme Generator, Great Inagua Real Estate,