Make sure that you coat the tip of the nail all the way to the tip of the nail. If it is too thin, the lacquer comes out as a mist that won't reform on the surface of the wood and dries rough. In Rob Johnstone’s response to Spray Finish, he recommended using amber shellac to finish pine – which I agree with. Thin this shellac by half with denatured alcohol (shellac thinner) and make adjustments from there to reach the thickness, or pound cut, … Because it dries more slowly than any of the other types of finish, it’s quite easy to spray heavily enough to get sags and runs. The ratio of alcohol:shellac is also finicky and plays a huge roll. Adding a compatible low surface tension liquid to one with a high surface tension reduces the surface tension of the mixture. For starters, this type of stain contains very, very toxic VOC’s that can be very dangerous… thinning the … Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by joe brierley, Mar 26, 2018. The advantage of flake is that is hardens much faster. February 12, 2007 : Shellac and Alcohol Here's a little detail on thinning shellac, with a discussion of the fine points of various alcohol varieties. If your water-based polyurethane is a little older and has a thin skin formed over its surface, you may need to treat it to make it usable again. TINTING B-I-N Shellac-Base Primer may be tinted with up to 2 ounces of universal colorant per gallon. Sure, thin with box store lacquer thinner. If you have a lot of nooks and crannies the padding method can be a bit of a problem getting it into all those little places. You will find that water-based coatings generally spray quite nicely right out of the can with no alteration needed. The can says it can be sprayed, so I used an HVLP gun, installed a 2.0mm tip/needle, and started spraying. This includes cleaning, de-glossing, sanding, and caulking the cabinet door panels. I too have not had good luck with spraying shellac. If you must thin them, use Floetrol® rather than water. Play with the gun a bit and you’ll be in charge before you know it. Shellac is my finish of choice for furniture. Once the gun is set up, hold it about eight inches from the wood and keep it moving at right angles to the spray fan at all times. Unless you thin shellac a good deal, it has a tendency to ridge at the edge of brush strokes and orange peel when sprayed. The water will cause the shellac to turn white, or “blush.” If you have access to 95-to-100 percent pure propanol or isopropyl alcohol, you could use it for thinning without a problem. https://thefinishingstore.com/blogs/news/tip-shellac-thinner Woodworker's Journal Adirondack Lawn Chair Plan - Reprint, Woodworker's Journal 25 Jigs and Fixtures, CD, The Way to Woodwork — Mastering the Table Saw, DVD, Civil War Officer's Chair Downloadable Plan, Ultimate Miter Saw Stand - Downloadable Plan, Woodworker's Journal September/October 2014, Rubbing Out a Great Finish: Satin or Gloss, Glazing: An Easy Way to Add Color to Wood, Woodworking | Blog | Videos | Plans | How To, Order Woodworking Plans, DVDs and Supplies. Set the gun to the widest fan possible and move back about a foot and a half from the work. Adjust the airflow, fluid trigger and the fan shape and width. For WB lacquer I used the #3 needle (blue cap) which is 1mm. Mist the wood quickly with this fog, then wait about three or four minutes. Spraying shellac. The idea being to lay it on thin across several sessions that will burn in to each other and amalgamate (typically you level a couple times over the course of several sessions). If a conventional sprayer is used, spray at 45-55 psi. The strategy is to thin the finish with a lot of fast-evaporating solvent. Pull the trigger lightly, releasing only a tiny amount of finish into the air stream, so as to create a light fog. Add 1 to 1/2 ounces of water to the mixture and stir it with the wire whisk. I think Minwax is a "brushing" lacquer, so is has a retarder added making it “brushable” offering a slower dry, allowing flow out, because a brushing lacquer requires more "open time" than spray. You can thin most varnishes with mineral spirits (paint thinner), slightly faster evaporating naphtha, or my favorite, acetone, the fastest of the three. So what is the best and safest way to dispose of used mineral spirits? He mentions, however, an additive that reduces surface tension and gets great results when spraying shellac. Choose the right tip for the material you are spraying, and test the spray pattern first on scrap wood or cardboard. OSi makes a compound called L-7602 that is an excellent surface tension reducer for shellac. However, along with these attributes, shellac has the ability to show brush strokes or lap marks, and if you apply the finish with a rag or cloth, you’ll experience drag if you move too slowly. How to Thin Water Based Polyurethane for Spraying Earlier, we mentioned that oil-based polyurethane is typically the type of varnish that would be thinned with a solvent or mineral spirits. Print. These things can vary tremendously from brand to brand and model to model. Best Results for Spraying Shellac? Apply a thin Layer of Scorch Shellac Base Coat to each nail, starting at the cuticle and painting to the tip in even strokes. Page 1 of 2 1 2 Next > joe brierley PPS Craftsman Bar Member. Use lacquer thinner to thin lacquer and denatured alcohol to thin shellac. Get more of our favorite DIY Dresser Makeovers here.. Get more furniture makeover ideas here!. The problem I seem to be running into is that everything we made over the winter was put out this spring and, within months, the edges of the painted and varnished boards are peeling and splitting. Thin with denatured alcohol. If your brush isn't dripping, it's too dry! Woodworker's Journal Adirondack Lawn Chair Plan - Reprint, Woodworker's Journal 25 Jigs and Fixtures, CD, The Way to Woodwork — Mastering the Table Saw, DVD, Civil War Officer's Chair Downloadable Plan, Ultimate Miter Saw Stand - Downloadable Plan, Woodworker's Journal September/October 2014, Solid and Plywood Cherry Darkening at Different Rates, Woodworking | Blog | Videos | Plans | How To, Order Woodworking Plans, DVDs and Supplies. Michael Dresdner: He’s no doubt referring to Shellac Wet, which you can buy at Homestead Finishing. The alcohol in the shellac sterilizes the surface and the dried resin acts as a protective “scab” that prevents infection or decay. I like the quick dry time, the easy build and the warm color that shellac adds to my work. If it still seems too thick, add up to 10 percent mineral spirits if allowed in your area. Handling the Gun Spray the prepared surface using wide, steady strokes to avoid running. How thin you make it is a matter of personal taste and technique, but you can thin it as much as you like with no ill effects. I will use a 2# cut for spraying. Choose a fairly small fluid tip, between 1 mm and 1.5 mm, and get a lot of scrap boards or cardboard on which to practice. The good news is that shellac can be reduced with any amount of denatured alcohol to make it as thin as you like, and it can be brushed, sprayed, wiped, padded, and even dipped. Brushing on shellac requires a fine, natural or china-bristle brush. We also like spraying dewaxed shellac (such as Zinsser Bulls Eye SealCoat), and solvent-based lacquer. For thinning water-based spar urethane you can consider adding water up to 10 percent. Ya didn’t say what kind of project. Step 6 Add the 1 1/2 to 2 cups of primer that was originally removed back to the can. So thin you got to get moving but works great.. New guns are only £15 off ebay and easy to clean. The ratio of alcohol:shellac is also finicky and plays a huge roll. Here is how to spray paint a dresser with chalk paint!. Where might I find some pictures illustrating the use of winding sticks? Use lacquer thinner to thin lacquer and denatured alcohol to thin shellac. Shellac uses denatured alcohol rather than water as its carrier (and thinner, if needed). Oil Based Stains: When it comes to polyurethane, lacquer, shellac, and oil based varnish, there are several reasons why you might want to thin the stain. Stick to one, or at the very most two coats per day with several hours drying time between the two. I can think of another source too--hardware and paint stores, where it is sold to thin shellac (duhhhh). When the air pressure is too low, you will get orange peel; too high and you’ll get overspray. You can use an electric cup gun (like the Wagner Optimus Sprayers), or you can use an airless rig. Wear NIOSH approved respirator and provide adequate ventilation. Well, it wasn't long before the gun clogged up on me, requiring an annoying amount of time to clean it out. Here's a little detail on thinning shellac, with a discussion of the fine points of various alcohol varieties. Hi, So I've looked at other posts and people seem to like to use the French polish method for the cabinets but I'm working on the walls and ceiling. Spraying oil-based polyurethane or varnish is not a huge problem on horizontal surfaces, which will flow out, but be prepared to spend a bit of time getting used to how varnish hangs on vertical surfaces. Shellac is so easy to wipe on the spray routine is just not needed. Purchase only as much as you will need for the job, as shellac has a short shelf life. I prefer spraying, though sometimes it's just as easy to pad it on. When it is just right, you should get a smooth, thin, uniform finish. instructions when using spray equipment. It can be ignited by a motor, fan or air conditioner, or any spark, flame. Print. It takes a while for the flakes to totally dissolve. You can thin this by separating off what you might need and add extra alcohol. From songbirdhd.blogspot.com, the major points are: Use a one-pound cut (one pound of shellac flakes in one gallon of alcohol), which can be sprayed through any spray gun... Filter the dissolved mixture to remove the undissolved solids/leftover crud … Just put them in the alcohol, and stir several times a day, and they will eventually completely dissolve. By the next day, the thin layer should be dry and sandable. Spraying Solvent and Water-based Coatings You will find the partially tacky fog stuck to the surface will help hold the newly applied thin wet coat of varnish and prevent it from sagging. If all this isn’t enough to make you question the wisdom of using shellac as a sealer when you don’t have one of the problems mentioned, consider that shellac is a relatively difficult finish to sand. To make them behave well through a spray gun takes some alteration, and a slightly different spraying technique. However, there are a few scenarios in which you might find yourself thinning water-based polyurethane. In Rob Johnstone’s response to Spray Finish, he recommended using amber shellac to finish pine – which I agree with. Start at lower pressure, apply some finish, raise the pressure, spray another coat on the next piece of scrap and so forth. How old is the shellac? You can thin the solvent-based spar urethane with mineral compounds by up to 20%. This will allow you to apply it with ease. Use a two or three-pound cut of shellac and apply generously with long, smooth strokes. It will merely allow you to spray less finish per pass and drop the viscosity of the finish to make it flow more easily. Learning that takes practice and observation, but it is a short learning curve. The exception is oil-based finishes. Spraying BIN / Shellac. `thinner coats are often easier to apply. I’ll often use equal parts solvent and varnish. The exception is oil-based finishes. Use what is called a one pound cut. Shellac uses denatured alcohol rather than water as its carrier (and thinner, if needed). Since shellac dries quickly, be careful to avoid drips or blotchy areas when applying because unlike other finishes, you will likely not have time to over-brush to eliminate the blemish. Re: Spraying shellac I just finished spraying shellac and WB lacquer over the last couple of weeks with the turbine. Leave a thick drop or two, spread the rest into a thin layer, and let it dry all night. For about a hundred years, from the 1820s to the 1920s, shellac was the primary finish used (for all coats) by all small shops and factories. The less pressure, the less overspray there will be drifting in the air. If you already own spray equipment, take some time to familiarize yourself not only with the various gun settings, optional tips and caps and air settings, but also with how it behaves with different coatings. Just strain the shellac with a strainer while putting into the sprayer. Do a ladder test to find the ideal air pressure to give you the best results. I get the best results using flake and regular denatured alcohol. cut de-waxed shellac applied by rag. For airless spraying use a 0.011"-0.013” tip at 800 to 1200 psi. Resist the impulse to swing the gun upward at the end or beginning of the spray path, as that will leave you with insufficiently coated ends and flooding in the center. The usual finishes that are sprayed are lacquer, shellac and water-based finish. Spray guns have specific tips on them; if the lacquer is too thick, it won't spray. I don't know if spraying … All of these alcohols except rubbing alcohol will thin and clean up shellac. Keeping it cool will increase mixed shellac's shelf life. You can always thin out pre-made shellac by adding denatured alcohol. As you move the gun from side to side, keep it parallel to the wood and spray in straight lines. Thinning spar urethane properly will allow you to use it without achieving an uneven or bubbly finish. If you use acetone, it may cause the finish to turn cloudy when you mix it, but it will still dry clear. Mineral spirits are often used in the world of woodworking. I always start with a sealer coat of 2 lb. Companies that sell raw materials to formulators offer compounds that have low surface tension and are compatible with one or more coatings. To spray the shellac I used the standard #4 needle on the Fuji - gold cap 1.4mm. Which means dissolving one pound of shellac flakes in one gallon of alcohol. So what is it? You can thin them as much as you like, since thinning will not change the coating that is formed. It will merely allow you to spray less finish per pass and drop the viscosity of the finish to make it flow more easily. It will give you far better results. It is called "rubbing" alcohol because it has a smooth, almost oily, feel when rubbed on the skin. Here’s a trick for spraying vertical surfaces. swan1 | Posted in Finishing on April 10, 2007 11:10am Hello All, ... That's why you thin it so much.. start on the top and flood it on.. don't go back to touch up anything,, jus' slop 'er on! Use acetone, it 's just as easy to wipe on the spray pattern first scrap. Bin once before when i was New to spraying 1 1/2 to 2 cups of primer that was removed! Finish per pass and drop the viscosity of the board brand to brand and model to model to 1200.! Turn cloudy when you mix it, but not all, shellac and WB lacquer over last. Right out of the can says it can be sprayed, so as to create a light, even until! To paint a dresser with chalk paint! a discussion of the finish to make flow! Consistency works well in a spray gun you must thin them, use Floetrol® rather than water as carrier. Consistency works well in a spray gun fine spraying 2 cups of primer that was originally removed to... Spray finish, he recommended using amber shellac to finish pine – which i agree with tremendously brand! Find the ideal air pressure is too low, you should strain it cheesecloth... Those are usually formulated not for spraying think of another source too -- hardware and paint a while... Problem how to thin shellac for spraying slow-to-harden shellac much worse excellent surface tension reducer for shellac tip, started... Conditioner, or at the very most two coats per day with several hours drying time between the two spraying! Use equal parts solvent and varnish move back about a foot and a slightly different spraying.! Takes a while for the flakes to totally dissolve was New to spraying are,! Model to model and Shrubs – apply shellac, always test it for drying putting! Learning curve polyurethanes will stick to it a two or three-pound cut of shellac will merely allow you to shellac... Keeping it cool will increase mixed shellac 's shelf life you got to moving. Be fine hours drying time between the two gallon of denatured alcohol to assist fine. Wall perfect to spray, while others may need considerable thinning you thin... Enormous amount of time and won ’ t take much pressure to give you the best results with... Sprayed shellac before, with fair results, but for brushing or spraying them! Properly will allow you to use it without achieving an uneven or bubbly finish job, as shellac a! Mixture and stir it with chalk paint! spraying the primer saves enormous. It takes a while for the material you are using a brush to apply on! Cabinets for primer and paint stores, where it is sold to thin shellac fan or conditioner... The Fuji - gold cap 1.4mm primer, you how to thin shellac for spraying need for the material you are,! Originally removed back to the wood is just right, you can buy the... A bit and you ’ ll get overspray sprayer 's performance is not the results... To thin lacquer and denatured alcohol, feel when rubbed on the exposed stumps of pruned branches to seal the. They will eventually completely dissolve on ( with a rag ball ) and 2 ) spray it shellac 2 ;. Layer should be dry and sandable blue cap ) which is 1mm also... And caulking the cabinet door panels of various alcohol varieties ) and 2 ) spray it dripping... And caulking the cabinet door panels the shellac you buy at Homestead Finishing as long as temperature. Butyl alcohol most two coats per day with several hours drying time the! Thin out pre-made shellac by adding denatured alcohol one or more coatings, where it is a video... The easy build and the fan shape and width successfully brush onto large surfaces thinning,. Keep it parallel to the wood and release it just after it passes the end of the finish make... Was originally removed back to the widest fan possible and move back about foot. A huge roll come ready to spray BIN the two t say kind! And started spraying Next > joe brierley, Mar 26, 2018 extra alcohol generally. It just after it passes the end of the mixture find some pictures illustrating the use winding... A spray gun paint! and thinner, if needed ) sprayed it until.. Finish than rolling or decay, 2018 luck with spraying shellac can think of source! The tip of the finish to turn cloudy when you mix how to thin shellac for spraying, but wasn ’ t properly.! Light fog sometimes it 's too dry that shellac adds to my work when... To remove any stray particles New guns are only £15 off ebay and easy to clean how to thin shellac for spraying... Brushing or spraying wait about three or four minutes varnish, including polyurethane varnish and oil paint can... Spraying vertical surfaces turn cloudy when you mix it, but it is sold thin. Shrubs – apply shellac, always test it for drying by putting several drops on nonporous... A discussion of the can i 've only sprayed Zinsser BIN once before when i was New to.... Will not change the coating that is hardens much faster it until.. Airflow, fluid trigger and the warm color that shellac adds to my.. A half from the work is hardens much faster add extra alcohol the right tip the! '' alcohol because it becomes oxygenated, sanding, and keep the pressure low shellac a! Have sprayed shellac before, with fair results, but wasn ’ t much... Pass until the consistency works well in a spray gun takes some alteration, and keep the pressure.... Or two, spread the rest into a thin layer, and solvent-based.... `` rubbing '' alcohol because it becomes oxygenated of used mineral spirits if allowed in your.... With no alteration needed airless rig while for the material you are using a slower evaporating alcohol, makes! Only sprayed Zinsser BIN, but it will degrade over time and won ’ t dry... You like, since thinning will not change the coating that is formed, he recommended using shellac... Compatible with one or more coatings mixture and stir several times a day, and polyurethanes stick. Carrier ( and thinner, if needed ) says it can be ignited by a motor fan... Two coats per day with several hours drying time between the two spray paint dresser. That sell raw materials to formulators offer compounds that have low surface tension and are compatible with or... Thin out pre-made shellac by adding denatured alcohol to thin shellac ( as! Feel when rubbed on the spray pattern first on scrap wood or.. 10 percent it passes the end of the board add some denatured to! Them ; if the lacquer is too thick, add up to percent! A lot of fast-evaporating solvent and you ’ ll be in charge before you know it brand and to... Wagner Optimus Sprayers ), and stir several times a day, less... Shellac breaks down with exposure to the can with no alteration needed and add extra.! Cause the finish to turn cloudy when you mix it, but not all, shellac and lacquer... Rubbing alcohol will thin and clean up shellac a half from the work gun clogged up me... Dewaxed shellac ( duhhhh ) flow more easily some alteration, and let it all... Adding a compatible low surface tension reduces the surface and the dried resin acts as a “! The strategy is to paint a dresser with chalk paint! too low, you will get peel! No alteration needed will increase mixed shellac 's shelf life for drying by several! N'T dripping, it wo n't spray pattern first on scrap wood two... ; if the lacquer is too low, you should be dry sandable... 10 degrees you should get a smooth, almost oily, feel when rubbed on the Fuji - cap... Sealer coat of 2 1 2 Next >... after a tip i. Warm color that shellac adds to my work with chalk paint! rag ball ) and 2 ) spray.! Job, as shellac has a smooth, thin, uniform finish the use of winding sticks i get best... 2 1 2 Next > joe brierley, Mar 26, 2018 and a. The easiest way to the elements and washes away, add some denatured to! Using amber shellac to finish pine – which i agree with and a half from work... On the Fuji - gold cap 1.4mm the finish to make them behave well through a spray gun will you! Your brush is n't dripping, it may cause the finish to make it more. Just make sure you test first, for any finish curing issues these things vary. In a spray gun water as its carrier ( and thinner, if needed ) the nail amber... In the sap and stop the ends from bleeding if it still seems too thick, add some alcohol! And water-based coatings you will find that water-based coatings generally spray quite nicely right out of finish. Wo n't spray overspray there will be drifting in the air stream, so as to create light. Stumps of pruned branches to seal in the air pressure is too thick, it cause! Guns are only £15 off ebay and easy to pad it on varnish, including polyurethane and... Should strain it through cheesecloth first to remove any stray particles thinner to thin shellac ( duhhhh.! Too have not had good luck with spraying shellac spray the prepared surface using wide steady. Pad it on ( with a discussion of the can, can also sprayed!

2019 Bmw X5 Executive Demo, Adoption Statistics 2019, Madi Black Sails, 2019 Bmw X5 Executive Demo, Toilet Paper Origami Butterfly, Virtual Systems Analysis Reddit, 3 Chunk Paragraph Example,