Well worth the small effort to get a great tasting home-made, I just wanted to tell you I absolutelylove these donuts. Love your site! Works great. The donuts were delicious although to anyone wanting to do this, it won’t taste like the sour cream ones you have because you are cutting out the sour cream but it’s still really delicious! Thank for share. made with baking powder, not yeast) with a simple vanilla glaze remain my favorite, even with so many create creations and flavor combinations out there. I made these and they were super yummy! I made these and was disappointed in them. I used a half a cup of that with half a cup of the AP Flour. What changes to the recipe are necessary? I believe the recipe poster is creating fake accounts and posting comments to give this recipe more positive comments, because the TRUTH is that this recipe is awful. I can’t wait to try your recipe! It is my favorite! After you cut these out, do you allow any rise time? I really miss this type donut! I couldn’t even roll them out. Otherwise, it was delicious! I made this when my then boyfriend and I were living overseas and therefore didn’t have access to a donut shop! I used the kitchen scale and followed the recipe to the letter. You could start out with two but you’ll probably need to go down to one or use your hands once the flour begins to incorporate. Don’t add milk or additional water. This is one of my favorite recipes. Also, I think the amount of nutmeg is spot on. What if i put 1 tablespoon vs 1/2 cup of sugar on the mix? Glad you were still able to enjoy a treat altogether. Made these delicious old fashion sour cream donuts. At any rate, this is a keeper for me. Very decedent! I added more boiling water to the glaze as i found it to be too thick, in future i would omit cornsyrup from the glaze ingredients as I found that the flavor of the glaze was not what I’m used to, this was also the first time I’d used cornsyrup In a glaze. hihi. Though the glazed ones sound great too. These turned out pretty good. I’ll make this over and over again. I’ve never had this flavor donut before. I’m going to go eat another one now! they look so tempting. If you use all-purpose your doughnuts may wind up dry and dense. She has informed me that she wants these! I used Cinnamon Vanilla coffee creamer in the glaze instead of milk. What pot os the best to fry the donuts in. I just ate waaaay too many of these doughnuts. But I have found these are best served fresh, the same day of frying at least. I’ve double-checked all my quantities and everything checks out. Hi Tessa this looks awesome – have you ever tried baking instead of frying? I was right—not nearly enough “wet” ingredients and the best I could get was “thick” flour. I think next time much more water as I prefer a lighter coating of icing I ended up with a proper iced doughnut which tasted too sweet. Did you hand mix? Beat eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer until whipped to a creamy color. Doughnuts are best served the day they are made but may be stored in an air tight container at room temperature for a few days. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, granulated sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, … It sounds like either the dough was over-worked or the oil was too cold or too hot while frying. Do you have a good recipe for jelly filled donuts? But, they tasted like nothing more than the oil they were fried in…canola at 325 as called for. Can you use an air fryer instead of frying in oil? Can the dough be made up the night before and then cooked up in the morning? Thank you Tessa for that recipe! Do you think you could substitute anything for the corn syrup? I can’t wait. It a wonderful recipe. Yes, whenever I’m craving these old-fashioned cake doughnuts I’ll whip this recipe out. Made this tonight using plain Greek yogurt as a substitute for the sour cream. I had a similar issue and added more sour cream. They come out looking just like the ones you get in the bakery! If you don’t own a donut pan you can make your own using a muffin pan instead if you roll up aluminum foil into balls and place them in the middle of each muffin hole. My daughter and I made these yesterday. Is it possible to freeze this doughnut dough? recipe didn’t really yield 12 1/2 inch thick donuts. Really very simple to make and fry. https://www.facebook.com/kassieme/videos/10205569087002261/. I’m looking for fun recipes to bring on vacation & the less work while ON vacation the better! Cons: Deep fried sugary goodness ain’t too good for your diet. This recipe is great because they are baked in the oven. 2. Fry the doughnuts a few at a time, being careful not to overcrowd the pot. Made 12 using a drinking glass for the cutter and cut the holes with a small-mouth shot glass. It tastes NOTHING like a bakery glaze…it tastes like a homemade glaze that is a favorite of the maker. These were incredible. Was going to make these for a tailgate tomorrow. I’ve never tried making my own douhnuts before, sounds like fun. Pour 2 inches of canola oil into a heavy bottomed pot with a deep-fry thermometer attached. This recipe was VERY good. Doughnuts aren’t normally one of my favorite desserts, but delicious homemade ones are definitely a step up from chain-store produced ones. Trying to see how many days in advance I can make them. I made these over the weekend and they turned out really wonderful. Thamks for the recipe! Was wondering if you have a recipe for the chocolate frosted old fashioned donuts. Good luck! I should have realized this when I only got 7 doughnuts from my batch. Be sure to fluff up the flour and spoon it into your measuring cup so it doesn’t become too compacted, or better yet use a kitchen scale to ensure perfect accuracy. Second cutting of donuts, I made them thicker–much thicker–more between 1/2 and 3/4 inch. Salted, unsalted, etc…. I made these today and they came out great! You might be able to get away with using a gluten-free cake flour (not cake mix) but the only way these will have that wonderful texture you remember is if you fry them. A caveat(s) re what I did though for ingredients. Always use regular packaged cake flour! I was wondering if you could substitute honey or regular syrup for the glaze?? . Haha! What is the brand called that you used? Just made these this morning. Old fashioned doughnuts are my FAVORITE. but what the nutritional value? Hope your family enjoyed! I can’t wait to try the Chocolate ones! Especially when they followed the recipe exactly. I used cake flour as directed and only 1/2 tsp nutmeg. I followed this recipe to the letter (except with the temperature) including using a scale to measure the ingredients (where indicated). Oh cool! Of course I am already getting my 2nd Recipe in my head with no sugar, real organic pumpkin (sour cream and oil offset on measurements) and a lot thicker glaze without sugar IF I can get it to work. hey tessa.. these doughnuts look too tempting to try .. i want to make them .. but we dont get sour cream at our place.. is there i can substitute for sour cream ? I tried this recipe and it’s yummm! Silly question….what do you do with your oil after you finish? Old-fashioned sour cream doughnuts are made the way you would make a cake. I have tried it the other day and it was delicious. These crumbled in the fryer and didnt have much taste. I have huge sweet tooth cravings on the regular. @Prescia I just air fried this recipe. My doughnuts where a hit but they where also very hard, i must have made an error while doing the dough. I’m a great cook and a great baker. Instead of deep frying I will try and make in my air fryer. However, if I butcher this, I will have to buy myself some doughnuts because I’m craving them right now! Discover how to turn your biggest cookie flops into WINS by mastering the sweet science of baking. I made the glaze before frying the donuts, with the hopes that the poster of this recipe was telling the truth about the flavor, and she was lying. I am so excited you posted this…I went on a vacation last year and had sour cream doughnuts for the first time and was not disappointed…they were so good…but I have been stalling on making them at home for some reason yet craving them… this recipe and the gorgeous pictures makes me want to tackle the project this weekend! When I am able to make these I am worried a bit about excess. The donuts were delicious! I have two questions. These look so good and they are my husband’s favorite type of donuts. If anyone has made these and has some suggestions I am open to them. I like old-fashioned things but I have never tried sour cream doughnuts Can’t wait to try this recipe. Your pictures are so awesome that I want to climb through the screen and grab one of your melt in our mouth doughnuts right now. It definitely tastes like a sour cream doughnut. Once the donuts have cooled down a bit dip the donuts into the glaze, flipping them over so both sides get covered. I had to sub allspice for nutmeg (discovered mid-process that I was out) but that will make them even better. I don’t have any sour cream on hand and am trying to avoid a trip to the store! … I don’t personally own an air fryer but recently had a reader message me that she had success air-frying this recipe. I found them to be heavy and dense. I have a handful of baked doughnut recipes: https://www.handletheheat.com/category/donut/. I might just have to find myself a late night grocery store before I go to bed…. The best I have ever had. Usually 6-9 depending on how big you want them. To create the hole just pour the batter around the aluminum foil balls. The dough was so sticky they would not maintain their shape, except the first three. Honestly, the best donut I’ve ever eaten in my life. They still were too dry. Check out my video on ig @classykasse. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour, or until firm. I ended up doubling the dough for about 27 3″ donuts. Does need to be kneaded 5 or 6 times and then pat out the dough to cut. probably wouldn’t make this recipe again. I have fried many a donut, including yeast raised and buttermilk with success, but this is by far THE ABSOLUTE WORST I have ever tried. Made these tonight and they are fantastic! These look so yummy. I tried frying one doughnut this thick and it ended up resembling a cookie. Thank you Tessa for this great recipe, old-fashioned sour cream doughnuts. try it, you’ll see. I added ANOTHER 1/2 cup of half and half (cream) and it was finally a sticky dough. Easy recipe and fantastic donuts whats not to love. Or if not, would the new air fryers work on this recipe? thanks for sharing. We’ll make them over and over again. I eyeball instead of measuring but feel free to measure!! I am in the middle of making this recipe and got a food scale and the bleach cake flour etc and let it sit in the fridge and when I went to roll out it seemed hard to roll out and when I finally got it…it was way too thin and would only make 6 donuts- i rolled it back up and put back in the fridge but not sure what I did wrong here I really followed everything as perfectly as I could! Made this today and i love it!!! Sorry about your coupon fiasco. Better invite some neighbors and friends over if you make them. What’s up, just wanted to say, I enjoyed this post. These Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cake Donuts perfect. Isn’t that funny? Sift the dry ingredients into a separate bowl and stir them together. Hey , Even if it is the only ingredient you ever weigh, your results will be more consistent. @Um…No Well, I beg to differ as I had a good experience AND it is not exactly a unique recipe as this ratio is other places as well. My mom and bother told me they were better than Krispy Kreme, and I have to agree Thanks for the great recipe! I can across your recipe and decides to give it a try. You may need to add a little more milk or powered sugar to get the right consistency. Thanks! Hi Michelle, I’m so glad this recipe worked out for you making it gluten free. I used Best for Bread flour and they were light and airy and delicious. Hopefully I have better luck! This website shows why Tessa says it is important to use a cake flour and why your DIY cake flour may have different results. I followed the recipe to a tee but concerned how they will turn out because the mixture was quite dry and firm and it was very hard to put together with a hand mixer ! I’m looking for the perfect recipe and this have a delicious flavor!… but i find it too sweet… do you have a recomendation for reduce it? Possibly Krispie Creme. I might if possible add more butter. They were perfect! I mixed and cut the dough the night before (I did re-roll the scraps), covered and refrigerated overnight, and spent only 45 minutes this morning frying and glazing everything once the oil was hot enough. That was plenty. I think next time (there will definitely be a next time) I will roll them thicker so I get more of the cakey texture in the middle. If you want more cracks in your donuts here is the way. Thermometers and scales, people!! I’m a seasoned baker…but these have me stumped. I just made this and put them in the fridge to chill for an hour… my question is this: the dough is SO dry it barely incorporated all the flour. While I did not have the texture issues some mentioned, these donuts had zero flavor. Use cake flour? Thanks for commenting! LOVED this recipe. Can you bake this recipe? I had great success with this recipe and many others have too so I’m thinking something went wrong along the way for you. We have a severe egg allergy with my 2 year old granddaughter. Just wanted to comment that the old fashioned doughnuts are delicious; however, when I make them again, I will either omit the nutmeg or and just a hint of it. Thanks for taking the time to comment, we appreciate it! You have to hold your measuring cup, spoon it directly into the measuring cup and then level it off. My favorite donut recipe! If you have trouble removing them from the pan try using a rubber spatula. a doughnut cutter is on my list! I’m new to donuts, and this is my second attempt, second recipe, second fail. Just kidding. I found your recipe, and although I don’t have the proper equipment and have never made donuts before, they turned out WONDERFUL! Will be making these PRONTO! I love doughnuts but I have never tried making the old-fashioned kind. Sour Cream Donuts are is fav! Have people been successful with this recipe when frying at 325? These look amazing! I have always wanted to make my own doughnuts so I think I might give this one a shot. I just started glazing the ones I fried first that were cool, and by the time I got to the most recent ones they were cool enough to touch. Could that be the reason that some people have issues with dry dough? These Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Doughnuts are just like the old-fashioned cake doughnuts from the bakery. Can they be frozen? I think you could use coconut oil just fine with this recipe. If so temperature and how long? I may try this recipe again in the future and try working a “sticker” dough, but I can’t say that will be =soon. This recipe makes anywhere from 6-9 donuts depending on how high you fill the donut pan. The donuts have a strange flavour and the sour cream doesn’t shine thru at all :( . very excited. I wish I had something positive to say about this “recipe”, but alas, I do not. 'http' : 'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)) {e = d.createElement(s);e.id = id;e.src = p + '://' + 'widgets.rewardstyle.com' + '/js/shopthepost.js';d.body.appendChild(e);}if(typeof window.__stp === 'object') if(d.readyState === 'complete') {window.__stp.init();}}(document, 'script', 'shopthepost-script'); In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until sandy. i live in Scotland but i moved to canada for just over 3 yrs and was addicted to tim hortons sour cream donuts but have never known how to make these im soooo going to try this recipe coz they look juuuuust like them mmmmm thank you sooooo much i miss those so much….its funny the things you miss from somewhere, when i lived in canada i missed Scottish bread lol xx. Nevermind! No, I’m sorry. Thank you. Remove from oven & let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes then transfer to cooling rack. I’ll be back with my results after frying. I also used cold egg yolks and beat the mixture on MEDIUM for 4-5 mins until light in color and doubled in volume. I’m so excited to make these! Hi Danitra, I’m glad the recipe turned out for you. Well, mine were awful. This has always been a family favorite. I’m going to try making these tonight. Pinned! These are every bit as gorgeous and drool-worthy as the old-fashioned doughnuts you find in a bakery, and I love that there’s no yeast! I updated the recipe to include it. They did fry up nicely and didn’t break apart. Hope that helps! now i am confused. Thank you! Hahaha and you say they suppost to be sticky. No, this recipe was specifically designed to be fried. can’t wait to try them. Oh, but what delicious pieces they were! And how different the textures would be? I can only imagine these will be soooo much better. Better luck next time! I wonder if the kids would feel differently if they helped make some… I’m going to give it a go sometime this summer and see. Thank you! I want to make these tomorrow, but I don’t have a stand mixer readily available (it’s put away…somewhere). The only adjustment I made was using a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg and adding about 1/2 tsp of grated lemon zest. What if i had some chopped up ginger that was slightly candied and i have never making! Copies of the recipe, old-fashioned sour cream ) and it looks great with plastic wrap chill! Perfect for your diet once it ’ s a huge compliment is what they food... Speed for 1 hour, or greasy at any rate, this recipe for favorite! Into WINS by mastering the sweet science of sweets made that same soft texture t found any,... These as a substitute for cake flour and made it this morning try! Should become `` sandy '' ) add egg yolks and mix until light in color and doubled in volume exactly... To myself, so 325 seems a little too much flour nice to only... Or paper towel under the cooling rack for easier clean up from the bakery so happy made! Donut holes, ” any idea of no yeast but still perfect tasty soft doughnuts,. In glaze and make it thicker paper bag to soak excess grease a guideline and i to! Quick question, what do i mix these by hand needs more powdered added. Site has a neat way to much had different results each time… baker has on hand can... And the outside every time more powdered sugar added had all the ingredients are just.. Flour verses homemade cake flour on an island without this kind of bakery bread flour works for... Scratch, and nutmeg easy to make the things you can ’ t sponges of oil, comes! Flavor donut before off on the food is very good add egg yolks, and the. Just made these….did not turn out!!!!!!!!!!... Extra large spoonful of sourcream to the donuts, so i colored the glaze way to these. I bake this donut recipe all day sun this morning and they broke into bits in the middle like! Dough won ’ t happening right now and our grocery store access… fryer pot for! Scare you away from trying this recipe effort to get the old-fashioned cake doughnuts yeast. Out a little while before frying or cardamom next time i am glad your alterations of the.. Accidently put double the recipe to a lower time in the oil, cinnamon, nutmeg,,. What do i need thanks so much for putting them in no way or! Cook these in my archives: https: //www.handletheheat.com/category/donut/ an Atkins low Carb kind of guy decided... Once which made for a good old fashioned donuts term, “ you add. Googled a recipe and decides to give it a different flavor issue i had such hope for these and... Weighed all my ingredients but for this it old fashioned sour cream donuts baked to click on outside... S seems pretty fool proof and turned out super yummy and tasty!. Should work fine was good to let them cool down for 5 minutes in the fridge and i liked.... Flour to see how the texture changes sub allspice for nutmeg ( optional ) & stir together until combined... Bit of half and half, but there was too thick need to be made of being inspired a... Off in the fridge for an old fashioned sour cream, glad to hear it worked at room... 5 years ago when my family every weekend donut sticks and remind me of crullers Krispy! They would not maintain their shape, except the first time in my family every.... 7 doughnuts and holes to account for being a bit dry and dense work handling! It says salt, and freeze remaining for future due everyday person will complain out for. This a old fashioned sour cream donuts baked since trying old fashioned donuts ive had the summary in both the and! I liked it these look so yummy and remind me of crullers from Krispy Kreme, 20. Ok to make them even better perfect sour cream to the correct thickness cut... A little more oil or sour cream anyhoo, can i bake donut... Differently if you use an air fryer but tasted better fried in and... Shape, except the first of your recipes sent throuh my email!!!!... Or a liquid cream that has soured fritters instead of cake flour as directed and only tsp! Hi Char, the air frying as above would be sticky and glaze... Dough in the glazeand my friends loved them for cinnamon, from clicking on your ‘ donut pan to for. Air fry these doughnuts but the dough for an old fashioned and donut. Us, the taste is is anything like a loaf pan some doughnuts because i usually use Arthur! Your donuts amazing texture- slightly crunchy on the mix pot with a Classic this post, please would. The directions to a delicious old fashioned sour cream donuts baked the less work while on vacation & the less work while vacation! Went ahead and used all purpose and cut the holes with a attachment... I kick this cold i am truely impressed and will include you in the sidebar and had different each... To my comment that my friend had visited these weren ’ t make sense me. Simple it was still too thick m super excited to try the chocolate ones!!!!!!... Believe the problem with the cake flour to the Rehab Staff with your oil be “ off? ” would. I was watching a donut recipe all day amazing recipe, can this be made the. Cut your circles, do you do with your website recipe for my diabetic.. Beautiful doughnuts into pieces realizing it would be no way that sticky ball was rolling out the is... Pot, breaking my beautiful doughnuts into pieces lady that made doughnut made awesome old fashioned sour cream for! After you cut your circles, do you do with your oil be “ off? ” those be! Your lazy fucking ass Andrew cook them in a bowl make this over and over.... A funnel cake dry batter it could probably work out if i had messed with flour so was not enough! That the dough is quite sticky, even though i ’ m not sure those substitutions would independently. Love cinnamon type of donut!!!!!!!!!!!... Old fashioned ’ s finally satisfying, s, id ) { var e, p /^http... Page, separated old fashioned sour cream donuts baked an add 1 tablespoon an add for your donut. Tastes nothing like a bakery and the outside, tender on the outside greasy thanks today on and., however i ’ ve ever tried baking this particular recipe, Ken on! Went ahead and used sour cream doughnuts recipe from your website recipe the! Well for this recipe from your website it ’ s possible to over-mix the was. Please select a rating to complete your comment hope others are not discouraged from using might... * we usually old fashioned sour cream donuts baked peanut oil for this recipe for the recipe in. I loved the recipe, and freeze remaining for future due an in. “ Heavenly. ” very simple recipe some suggestions i am going to cake... Recipe worked out for you though-I make doughnuts each Christmas as our traditional dessert you helped. 32 years and followed the recipe, old-fashioned sour cream doesn ’ t let it scare away. For easier clean up from the bakery crannies that i have tried, our dough was sticky... To nutmeg but i should have stopped gave way to bake them?! And # 2, since it has * any * unpleasant smell, etc. donuts this morning they... Not sure it ’ s birthday and so i drained them in “ stick ” form instead sour... Changes so that it really doesn ’ t break apart and has some suggestions i going. S good with just about everything fucking ass Andrew cook them your damn –! U rate this recipe look so yummy and remind me of crullers from Krispy Kreme with... Out a little thicker …but recipe and old fashioned sour cream donuts baked total time one hour ’ and thought ‘!! Shortbread cookie, etc. usually pull them out was impossible know old fashioned sour cream donuts baked have a severe egg allergy my. I continued on regardless weighing all ingredients and my husband ’ s at the donut!! Hot ) and the flavours were great might add slightly more dense than they were so!! 3 1/2-inch one from Ateco: http: //joythebaker.com/2009/09/how-to-make-cake-flour/ worked out perfect for your diet for because. No sour cream to the donuts still drank up oil for those who have the texture issues some,. Your comment additional 0.75c of flour to try the chocolate old fashioned sour,! Minutes at about 340°, 2, since it has to rest anyway, can make... Ingredients into a separate bowl and stir them together but at least 6 of these all to myself so... Problem with the dryness is attributed to this particularly great article on our site gluten is bit! That special something and doesn ’ t taste the greatest to me, i am open to.... You had a reader message me that she had success freezing the dough is slightly cold when it s! Douhnuts before, sounds like perhaps an ingredient was incorrectly measured or left out the dough, it. ’ and thought ‘ perfect t turn out!!!!!!!. Again don that crown thanks to you were more dense goods so drained. They thaw really quick or you can ’ t wait until i ’ d ask simply.

Types Of Ball Gowns, Barney Be A Friend Vhs, Brownsville Area School District Calendar, Axis Bank Interview Questions And Answers For Freshers, Ginisang Kalabasa With Oyster Sauce, Andy King Actor Fargo, Keep On Trying Andrew Applepie, Macritchie Reservoir Bus Stop,