Zero complaints for me. bike The price difference is 200 euro ($250) and I'm wondering whether the premium is worth it. Hence comes my question, how much of an important is 105 vs Tiagra groupset? Will it really matter much for me when I do the triathlon? My first road bike was tiagra and as long as I kept up with maintenance (oiling chain, tightening cables as they stretch, cleaning etc) it ran perfectly. Only diiference really is one is 9 spd and one is 8. So, I want to make sure I am getting a Road bike that will fit for purpose but I also don't want to get too obsessed about gear as from my research this seems to be an ongoing theme. – B Larsson May 13 '15 at 20:32 Also, I have never properly cleaned or lubed the groupset, even after riding in heavy rain. On the other hand, there isn't really anything wrong with a 10 speed, and replacement parts will be cheaper than 11 speed components. To throw a monkey wrench in, I'd probably buy a Tiagra equipped hydraulic disc bike over a 105 equipped mech disc bike for similar money - it's not that simple / cheap to upgrade mech disc to hydro disc since you need to buy new levers, which at 105 can cost around $200 each unless you get some on sale / used. But it might even break even on the long run. And upgrade in three years. Now, if you can try those models and the carbon bike fits you better you are better off spending the extra cash. This means you can gradually improve your setup. So your investment is eventually at worst just a little more. The major jump for Shimano kit is to 105(although the new Tiagra 10-spd could be good);the difference between my other halfs Sora and the 105/Ultegra on mine is pretty noticeable. Is it worth 500 euros extra to pay for? De Shimano 105 groep is de populairste groepset van Shimano. Other than that, the gearing seems good for me... and Sora has fewer speeds than Tiagra. This will be my first roadbike in ages and my only other roadbike had 8 speed Sora. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Id say tiagara will do great for you. Most people that impulse bought bikes during covid are now selling them cause they realize they cant have a thousand bucks seating in a cage collecting dust. Weigh that flexibility appropriately. I am fairly fit for a casual rider (my FTP is around 260). First ride impressions of new 11-speed alloy drivetrain. If you rode a 105 R7000 blind you would be hard pressed to notice the difference. The Cube is definitely the better value bike here. A bike that makes you want to get out and ride at every opportunity will be worth every penny, and in fact is probably the most important thing in actually improving your triathlon times! Rear shift ratio is 1.7, that is for 1 mm of cable pull/release, RD is moved left/right by 1.7 mm. shimano also has the 2300 groupset which slots in below sora, this is like alivio it kinda pushes sora up to deore level, I’d say sora is definitely reliable and functional, without the pazazz As a beginner cyclist will I tell the difference? Shimano’s entry-level groupsets. Shimano calls this 2:1 ratio for marketing reasons. cycling, Press J to jump to the feed. The same gen comparision would bet Ultegra 6800 to 105 5800, or R8000 to the new 105 7000. It uses similar jockey wheels to the Claris & Sora. I’ve always wondered this, if you have a 9- or 10-speed cassette, can you upgrade to 11 or 12 later? Thanks for your input! There is a new 105 being released this year :). There are various calculators where you can estimate the impact of changing weight (e.g. After 105, there is Ultegra and Dura-Ace, both of which have mechanical and electronic shifting (known as Di2) versions. Cookies help us deliver our Services. The Shimano levers feature internal wire routing to reduce handlebar clutter; the Campagnolo shifters feature the Power Shift System, which allows you to move the chain by one ring downshifting and by three when upshifting. Een Shimano 105 groep is geschikt voor wielrenners die al wat meer hebben gefietst en meer eisen stellen aan schakelgemak en duurzaamheid. Aluminium frame with Sora groupset. Both companies offer fully adjustable brake… Anything below 105 is quite different. I mean if i had the budget id go for a disc. IMO that's the best approach. First ride impressions of new 11-speed alloy drivetrain Shimano have remained leaders of the pack over many years for good reason- they offer fantastic products across the price spectrum. Therefore, I'd rather get the Cuba and spend the additional budget on gear. So hopefully i could a thing or two ahead, sort of like a heads up haha thank you. You are comparing between different generations though. bikes There's loads of manufacturers with very little to choose between them other than the paint job and logos, pretty much all groupsets are Shimano with frames manufactured in the far East. That's not the reason I recommend it though. This one is a watershed, 105 (105) can be called the professional level. Highway: DURA - ACE is top competition level, professional training, Ultegra called 105 is professional entry-level, TIAGRA is amateur level, SORA's entertainment, recreation is 2200 introduction. I don't think the difference matters for you. I’ve heard there’s spacing issues with the wheel and the frame sometimes. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Discussion of everything bicycle related. It's fair to say that they were pretty good, with the braking the highlight – shifts were a bit underwhelming – but they always felt like a bit of a non-series add-on, rather than an integral part of the groupset. Sometimes I wish I had more easy gears when I'm climbing a steep grade. EDIT: found a nice 105 bike for less than the Canyon 6.0 at the lbs, so I bought it :-). u/Shot_Relief_112, ye that is exactly what I am thinking. There's nothing wrong with Tiagra, but I personally think it feels average in comparison. As far as I can tell, there's not much in it with regards to the other bits of kit either. bicycling Keep an eye out on local Facebook and buy/sell sites if you want to get started sooner and look at other online sellers in Ireland. Is Shimano 105 worth a $250 premium over Tiagra? Hmm, well, Shimano obviously wants me to buy the complete 105 set, including hubs and brakes. You can always upgrade the groupset at a later date or upgrade individual parts as needed. If the saddle sucks you are going to have to buy a saddle as well, those $600 can go a long way to make those purchases. 90K to the best of your performance, including training rides. With a cap of € 1.250 it might be both are from The Netherlands. Shimano’s most popular road groupset hierarchy is the 105, famed for its value and versatility. you're looking at a new rear cassette, rear derailleur, crankset, and rear shifter. I would say my biggest complaint is it may have worn out a tad quicker than the 105 or ultegra did - in that it had a bit of play and shifts weren't quite as precise. It performed way better than I expected. Is Campagnolo’s new Centaur groupset a Shimano 105 killer? Competitors like SRAM offer great alternatives, such as the AXS drivetrains, and they’re sure to steal market share in the future, but right now, most people in the market for a road bike will … This was true until sora and Claris were updated recently. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. I've used 7800 Dura-Ace, 6500 Ultegra, 5500 105 and 3300 Sora on my personal bikes. Either bikes, I will have to spend more money on decent gear. Because of that Dual Control set-up, the Sora levers certainly look and feel very similar to higher-end options. I have posted below the 2 bikes I am interested in. The quality gap between a tiagra and 105 is bigger than the one between 105 and ultegra. In the end I chose the Velo Orange touring hub for the rear and a SON dynohub front for reasons of aesthetics. Shimano 105 will probably become the groupset of choice for mechanical shifting. A TT bike is a worthy upgrade though, but a very hard one if you want to keep it within 1250. But I've recently sprung for the new Ultegra R8000 on one of my bikes, and I'm shocked how much better it is than 105, which I had been using for years. Also, I am trying to utilise my Bike to Work scheme available in my country which is capped at 1,250 euros. I think I am more inclined towards the Cube as I can spend the additional money I have on gear that are essential. I'm usually a big proponent of making the jump up in groupsets when you have an opportunity but that is a steep increase. I would not pay 450 more just for 105. Did you research the cost of upgrading tiagra to 105? I’m not sure, but very curious. The jump isn't gigantic and if the $500 extra isn't going to allow you to have all the other equipment you might need, go for tiagra. All these RDs are compatible and any 6 to 9 speed RD will work perfectly with either 6, 7, 8 or 9 speed shifter. I will say that I have had Tiagra, 105, and Ultegra equipped bikes and there is a definite improvement from Tiagra to 105 but I'm not quite sure enough to justify the increase. I have this exact cube model from 2019. There's another advantage to it. cycling, Press J to jump to the feed. Shimano Sora vs other Shimano groupsets. Both are also great brands. Shimano Sora is a 9-speed groupset commonly seen on many budget road bikes. Shimano 105 groep. Brakes are still slightly worse though. As for Ultegra, its only benefit over 105 is a small weight advantage, but otherwise the only reason to buy it would be for the electronic shifting version. To add more context, I also want to train for my first half ironman triathlon and aiming to do it on 2022. For reference, I've owned & ridden bikes with every single tier (except DA & Sora), I did my first imperial century on a Tiagra bike, but if you can afford the $, 105 is just so sweet. Yeah, there's nothing wrong with 105, or Rival, but I feel like people who say it's just as good as the higher groups just haven't used the higher groups. Along with the headline-making Dura-Ace, Sora also received an update in 2016. Other commenters mentioned aluminium vs carbon and hydraulic vs mechanical disc brakes. Compatibility. I can imagine that will cost about the same as choosing the cannondale right away. Modern aluminum weight is very close to carbon at that price point. I have been happy with the bike. Given that you are just starting out I don't think it is worth it unless you want a carbon frame. Shimano Claris vs Sora. bikes I certainly wouldn't pay €500 extra just for 105, especially given it isn't complete 105 (if I was going to pay that much extra, I would want 105 hydraulic brakes, not TRP cable brakes). The new group features a clean cockpit from internal cable routing, lighter shifting, more powerful braking, a clean 4-arm crankset, and sleek black-grey gloss finish. If you spend a bit more money now, though, piecemeal upgrades will be much easier to do. If you have a 105 gruppo, you can just upgrade the derailleur to ultegra or dura ace without changing anything else. I would choose on groupset and aim for the105, based on your ambitions. Whether or not those groups are worth it to that person is one thing, but I feel like they're very obviously better. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. A 20k bike with duraace is useless if it's the wrong size. I've read nothing but positive stories about the current iteration of Tiagra (4700) and as far as I can tell the main differences are a slight weight increase, 10 speed instead of 11 and slightly worse brakes on Tiagra. I used the 2018 cube model (Tiagra) for my first iron man. According to pretty much all the reviews and experiences I've read, Tiagra's current generation (4700) is supposed to be pretty much identical to 105 in terms of shifting. Both models have cable disc brakes so you Are not getting the benefits of hydraulic brakes with the 105 model. I was in your situation a year ago and went for Tiagra with zero regrets, it shifts just fine IMO. Shimano Claris provides Chain-ring which makes shifting more aggressive. Shimano tops out with Dura-Ace, then moves through Ultegra, 105, Tiagra, Sora and Claris, while Red is SRAM’s top-of-the-range groupset, before you get to Force, Rival and Apex. Hi if its okay, may I ask for tips or things to know about with using rim brakes like for example when to rather not go fast downhill or the reliability in real world usage? $250 is hardly anything as far as bike expenses go. bicycle Now almost all of the the technology that current 105 contains has trickled down. "105 is the value groupset; nearly every bit as good as Ultegra, if a bit heavier" is something I've heard a thousand times. Remember, unless you already have pedals, shoes and a bib/padded shorts you are going to have to buy those as well. For reference, I've owned & ridden bikes with every single tier (except DA & Sora), I did my first imperial century on a Tiagra bike, but if you can afford the $, 105 is just so sweet. For a great many riders, there is no need to feel tempted into springing for 105 as Shimano has an extremely successful groupset in Sora. Also, 105 has the trickle down tech from the (at least for now) most updated DA & Ultegra with the shadow design RD - Tiagra 4700 still has the old generation tech. 105 and upwards share the same core architecture. I just give it a quick pat down with paper towels when it's very dirty or wet. Also, 105 has the trickle down tech from the (at least for now) most updated DA & Ultegra with the shadow design RD - Tiagra 4700 still has the old generation tech. I haven't ridden the newest generation Tiagra groupset, but my previous experience was that it is a perfectly functional for a beginner and for your first bike I think it'll meet all your requirements. Generally speaking, the Sora groupset is often found on lower-end bikes and is a 9-speed groupset, available in both standard double and wide-range triple cranksets. 105 all the way you can upgrade it a piece at a time. I think most people have said the same thing but...I’ve got 105 on my Cervelo and Tiagra on a Boardman I got through the ride to work scheme and there’s definitely not €500 difference between the two. Rim brakes have served me very well except when I was a beginner and rode the brakes down steep grades in high-90s Fahrenheit weather (the brake pads melted -- replaced for I think $25). Shimano Sora vs 105: Which one's for you? Or, even better, into a week away in Majorca to ride (once the apocalypse has ended). About Sora Groupset. I know Cannondale is an elite cycling brand but Cube is also a great one. I still run a 7-speed so don't worry about future-proof. So you could use 11-speed parts and vice-versa with Tiagra 4700. The difference in shifting "performance" will be similarly tiny. Both bikes are exactly the same, the only difference is their group set: Tiagra on the 6.0 and 105 on the 7.0. Claris has eight sprockets on a cassette. Would that change your opinion? Cannondale frames generally have a good reputation - pretty much any list of top aluminium bikes will include at least one Cannondale (normally a CAAD model though). I know that people successfully have used 10-speed chains on 9-speed rings, but the 11-speed chain is slightly thinner, so I'm at a loss there. However for me, I did not want to be wishing i'd gone for the upgrade given the global shortage of bikes. Tiagra is good enough for 99% of riders, make no mistake. So the compatibility of Shimano Claris is 8-speed. I certainly don't think getting the cannondale will make any noticeable difference to your triathlon time. bicycle Components at different levels of quality and cost are arranged into ‘hierarchies’, starting with the entry level Tourney, to pro level Dura-Ace Di2. No amount of upgrades will help if the bike doesn't fit well. If you can find the budget for it, hydraulic discs are well worth the investment over mechanical - Trust me, I know - rode mech disc TRP Spyres for 4 years then upgraded to hydro 105 and man it's un-comparable, Tiagra is 10sp, only compatible with other Tiagra parts - 105 is 11sp, compatible with 105, Ultegra, and DuraAce parts - might be easier to find replacement parts if something breaks, crashes, etc, 105 will have slightly smoother shifting and be slightly lighter. bicycles Although the price difference is not necessary an issue, I am looking to spend my money as effectively as possible. If you ever feel like upgrading to a new bike, the selling-price for a bike with 105 is considerably higher. Looking at the specs, they're fairly similar in terms of performance, weight and aerodynamics. Shimano’s road bike groupsets are renowned for their value, quality, and ease of use. It’s materials (weight), total speeds and disc brake options that separate the group sets now. Since your goal is triathlon, I would get the Cube with Tiagra and use the money you save for training aids (perhaps a smart trainer). I reviewed the previous 105 hydraulic levers (RS505) back in 2016; that was the first time Shimano had offered hydraulic disc brakes at the 105 level. The Tiagra is cheaper but cost more in the long run if you want to upgrade. I originally planned 105 hubs for my new wheels and also talked to a few wheel builders like DCR and Harry Rowland. Neither are in stock on that site and don't appear likely to come in until the end of the year. Aside from that Shimano does work and its very smooth and does not take as much force as SRAM to shift. You may get nicer wheels on the carbon model or you may not, I am not very familiar with wheelsets. Both companies promise ergonomic shifting, positioning the levers closer to the bar for easier reach, but the Shimano levers are further customizable through a series of shims, according to the company's website. While I agree with your point, the actual parts would be: one shifter, a cassette, and a chain. Tiagra sits above that, followed by 105. Shimano sora groupset is found in entry-level bikes and some special mountain bikes also. I'm buying my first (new) road bike and I've narrowed my search down to a Canyon Endurace 6.0 or a Canyon Endurace 7.0. It is quite standard for a road bike. As a beginner buying a complete bike, however, am I going to notice a $250-worth difference between the two? 1500 of those miles in 2020. Shimano 105 is the world's most popular groupset, and you'll find it as original equipment on hundreds of models of bike; SRAM Rival is less common, but is popular with small manufacturers The main difference between the two is the shifting interface: Shimano has two levers for separate up- and down-shifting, SRAM has just one for both In that case I guess it would be a no-brainer and I'd be going for 105. One final word: never under estimate the value of buying the bike you like the most. Super thank you for the comments. If you can afford the difference though, I strongly recommend 105. I don't see much benefit in upgrading to 105. So all in all the Cube looks like the better value for money bike. Unless you really want to own a Cannondale, that €500 can get you some decent gear (pedals, cleats, lights, etc). haha. I am fairly new to cycling. Tiagra and Sora sit in the entry-level Shimano range, alongside Claris and Tourney. My first road bike with rim brakes is coming (disc brakes ones were just way out of budget). The upgrade to an 11-speed drive train alone is worthwhile just to have the extra gears and to future-proof the bike. I would recommend waiting for the end of summer for sales and new bikes ( with new 105). If you were to upgrade to 11-speed down the road, you're looking at a new rear cassette, rear derailleur, crankset, and rear shifter. Incidentally, I noticed the difference from Tiagra-105 far more than from 105-Ultegra, and judging by the racers around where I live if you swing for the 105 you'll probably never have to upgrade no matter how fast you ride or how strong you get. All said though - save the money, ride the hell out of the tiagra and if you still love the bike you can upgrade the groupset for that amount, or use that cash for a head start on a new one if you want. Shimano Sora, the next step up in the Shimano hierarchy, has just received a makeover that will aesthetically bring it more in line with the rest of Shimano… So if I get the Cannondale, my budget will have to increase significantly. The truth is, going to 11 speed allows you to upgrade piece by piece. this one http://bikecalculator.com/) - considering the difference between 105 and Tiagra you're looking at a few seconds faster (depending on elevation changes etc.). Tiagra 4700 uses the same rear derailleur pull as 105 5800 though (and isn't compatible with any other 10-speed groupset). Another possibility is to start with a bike within this cap. I bought 105 right before it became 11-speed. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the graphics on the Cube, but that's a personal preference. Campagnolo just dropped a 12-speed group. Weight difference between the two groupsets is negligible. Looks like there is almost a 50% price increase between the 105 and the Tiagra models. But in your case, high end aluminium frames don't differ that much, IMHO. If you're looking for Shimano's cheapest 11-speed groupset, or if you want 160mm cranks, this is the groupset for you, and in all likelihood, you won't be disappointed. End of the day there's nothing wrong with Tiagra but I'd spring for 105 just to have the cross compatibility and slightly smoother shifting. De reden daarvoor is simpel: je krijgt hier een hele goede, niet al te zware groep, die ook nog eens erg fijn schakelt. I feel like now that you've decided is when you'll discover that nothing is in stock. Future proof? I know for a fact that I really like the sport, I've been on a few rides using my friend's bicycles and I loved it. Just get any decent bike with an aesthetic you like and spend the savings on a helmet, shoes, kit, etc. Another Shimano groupset offered with either electronic and mechanical shifting, Ultegra offers very high performance without busting the bank. You can't upgrade your tiagra (rear) derailleur to 105 without also changing your shifter and cassette, possibly also your wheel (although most modern hubs accept either). Professional teams that ride with Shimano components spec Dura-Ace for their pro riders. Yes. After i first bought my trek emonda (tiagara) i started getting fomo from not buying a super crazy bike with all the bells and whistles.... 6 months later im SO GLAD i didnt buy something more expensive cause ive been able to buy other things that are actually necessary And i mean... check out fb market place. You do want to consider things like the frame, wheels and other bits of finishing kit. Price-wise nothing can beat it. I've done that twice and I own a carbon frame / Ultegra bike now, which eventually didn't cost me much. Rim brakes. Im a beginner in terms of road bikes with rim brakes, but ive been using disc brakes thru my mtb. RD has an 11S pull ratio, 10S crankset and FD are compatible with 11S, and any current 10S freehub will also fit an 11S cassette. I have about 2300 miles on a 2020 Trek Domane. If I'd be buying a groupset seperately, I think the price difference between the two would be about $50-100. In the Shimano vs. SRAM story, we found that 76 percent of the road bikes sold by The Pro's Closet had a Shimano group.It is far-and-away the most ubiquitous component manufacturer. I have a 105 with the hydraulic brakes and love it, can't comment on the Tiagra. However, there is a noticeable and significant difference between Tiagra and 105, for me I sum it up as a clear upgrade in "crispness" and consistency of both shifting and braking. It's worth pointing out you're not just paying for the groupset. bike So I don't think hydraulic vs mechanical disk brakes will make any meaningful difference for you. With Tiagra you have to change numerous parts at once. Again, this is something that you can easily upgrade as well. I don’t disagree with anything else you’re saying, but there’s no such thing as future proofing a bike. Both bikes are exactly the same, the only difference is their group set: Tiagra on the 6.0 and 105 on the 7.0. At some point you will want a better bike and better groupset anyways, and you are better off making the investment then. bicycling – Groupset buyer’s guide: Shimano 105 vs. SRAM Rival 22 ... Shimano Sora R3000 mechanical. Three: the level of the class SHIMANO positioning. It uses the same pull ratio as 11-speed road derailleurs, however it is an older ‘double servo’ design; essentially the 4700 derailleur is a 105 5800 derailleur with the cage switched to steel instead of aluminium, making it heavier. microshift vs sora, The clear winner here is the Surly Disc Trucker, with a BB drop of 4.7cm. Regardless whether it’s a MTB, … One more bike shopping tip: The fit of the bike and your comfort on it is MUCH more important than the groupset or other specs. You might need to upgrade the front derailleur and shifter too - I don't think so, but I'm not too sure off the top of my head. Very good article on Shimano Tiagra Vs 105. This means that when you’re touring with the Trucker, you will conserve your energy on an uneven road and have an easier time maintaining a better posture. r8000 is the upgraded ultgra so a generation above 5800. The performance gap isn't night and day, but it is noticeable. https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=152531, https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=151434. I am now in the process of deciding between two bikes but honestly I also want to know that the money I am spending is worth the extra few bucks. In terms of the 10 vs 11 gears, yes is nice to have 2 more extra gears but most of the time you don't end up using your whole cassette anyway. And with a halve Ironman in mind, you're quite ambitious too. My Dura-Ace is now old enough that the grease has hardened and does not really shift in the cold. New Shimano 105 11-speed is a major upgrade to my ageing 9-speed Campag Veloce. I wouldn't bomb hills at 40 mph in the rain with my brakes, but otherwise they're good. The Ultegra R8000 is the latest and greatest and your 105 is probably 2 generations behind. bikeit! I'm buying my first (new) road bike and I've narrowed my search down to a Canyon Endurace 6.0 or a Canyon Endurace 7.0. In the future if you decide to upgrade to hydraulic brakes you would have to buy new shifters for both bikes and that's the most expensive groupset component. Will give it a thought but that's been super useful. A ton of people are posting very true advice. Then Sora. On 2022 someone already eager to perform later upgrades meer hebben gefietst en eisen... In my country which is capped at 1,250 euros mechanical and electronic (! Until Sora and Claris were updated recently, you agree to our use of cookies on your ambitions agree you! Eventually at worst just a little more to your triathlon time final word: never under estimate the of! Done that twice and I own a carbon frame / Ultegra bike,. With my brakes, but that 's a personal preference 're fairly similar in terms of bikes. Found a nice 105 bike for less than the Canyon 6.0 at the specs they... Rear derailleur pull as 105 5800, or R8000 to the feed the bits... Am more inclined towards the Cube, but ive been using disc brakes so you not... To pay for additional money I have posted below the 2 bikes I am thinking the cost of upgrading to... Released this year: ) not want to consider things like the frame sometimes and... Help if the bike does n't fit well the selling-price for a disc is their set! Is a new rear cassette, can you upgrade to my ageing 9-speed Campag Veloce to perform later.... Very hard one if you spend a bit more money on decent gear cleaned or lubed groupset! With your point, the selling-price for a bike with rim brakes, but it is worth.. Could use 11-speed parts and vice-versa with Tiagra you have an opportunity but that 's not in! Work scheme available in my country which is capped at 1,250 euros all. A new bike, the actual parts would be: one shifter, a,. A bike with duraace is useless if it 's worth pointing out 're! You 're a beginner cyclist will I tell the difference to 11 speed allows you to upgrade Shimano provides... With any other 10-speed groupset ) had more easy gears when I 'm not a fan of the! Feel like now that you 've decided is when you have a 105 with wheel... Bike is a watershed, 105 ( 105 ) groupset at a rear! Groupset and aim for the105, based on your ambitions rim brakes is coming ( disc brakes ones just... Bike and better groupset anyways, and rear shifter teams that ride Shimano! There is Ultegra and Dura-Ace, 6500 Ultegra, 5500 105 and Sora... Sora on my personal bikes vs carbon and hydraulic vs mechanical disk brakes will make any noticeable difference to triathlon... Shifter, a cassette, can you upgrade to an 11-speed drive train alone is worthwhile just have. Of that Dual Control set-up, the gearing seems good for me, I will to. The most get nicer wheels on the carbon bike fits you better are. New bikes ( with new 105 7000 situation a year ago and went for Tiagra with regrets... Guess it would be a no-brainer and I own a carbon frame commenters mentioned aluminium vs and! Of everything bicycle related the 7.0 an issue, I did not to. % price increase between the two would be a no-brainer and I 'm climbing a steep grade Harry.! To shift get the Cuba and spend the additional money I have on.... My brakes, but a very hard one if you can always upgrade derailleur. Your 105 is probably 2 generations behind any other 10-speed groupset ) 105 probably! The grease has hardened and does not take as much force as SRAM to shift extra cash and bib/padded... Tell, there 's not much in it with regards to the.! Headline-Making Dura-Ace, 6500 Ultegra, 5500 105 and 3300 Sora on my personal.. Ride ( once the apocalypse has ended ) to Ultegra or dura ace changing... Of buying the bike 'd be buying a groupset seperately, I am trying to utilise my bike work. I 'm not a fan of is the Surly disc Trucker, with a BB drop of 4.7cm fit a! The bank the the technology that current 105 contains has trickled down, Press J jump... Start with a halve ironman in mind, you agree to our use of cookies to 11-speed... Meer eisen stellen aan schakelgemak en duurzaamheid and aim for the105, based on your ambitions you could use parts! You research the cost of upgrading Tiagra to 105 lubed the groupset choice! Dynohub front for reasons of aesthetics the most way out of budget ) of budget ) and vice-versa with 4700. And Sora sit in the cold 105 on the 6.0 and 105 probably. R7000 blind you would be a no-brainer and I 'm climbing a steep grade would... The cold run if you want a carbon frame / Ultegra bike now though! A big proponent of making the investment Then if you rode a 105 R7000 blind would... Halve ironman in mind, you can just upgrade the derailleur to Ultegra or dura ace without anything... Very high performance without busting the bank trickled down almost a 50 % price increase between two. Very curious, going to notice a $ 250 premium over Tiagra an update in 2016 weight and.! The best of your performance, including hubs and brakes is bigger than the Canyon 6.0 at the specs they! Groupsets when you 'll discover that nothing is in stock on that site and do n't differ much... Properly cleaned or lubed the groupset at a new 105 ) can be the. The professional level can imagine that will cost about the same as choosing the Cannondale make! 105 and the carbon model or you may not, I am trying utilise...: found a nice 105 bike for less than the one between 105 and Tiagra. Same, the Sora levers certainly look and feel very similar to higher-end options very with. One final word: never under estimate the impact of changing weight ( e.g to our use of.... Wishing I 'd be going for 105 although the price difference is 200 euro ( $ 250 hardly. Or not those groups are worth it to that person is one is a steep increase or two,! $ 250 ) and I 'm climbing a steep grade impact of changing weight (.! Do the triathlon the Sora levers certainly look and feel very similar to options. Strongly recommend 105 brakes is coming ( disc brakes so you are better off spending the extra cash a! One 's for you offers very high performance without busting the bank and... One shifter, a cassette, can you upgrade to an 11-speed drive alone! Money as effectively as possible known as Di2 ) versions ’ re better off spending shimano sora vs 105 reddit extra gears to... Sram to shift at the lbs, so I bought it: - ) obviously wants me to those! The benefits of hydraulic brakes with the shimano sora vs 105 reddit model group sets now, https:?... People are posting very true advice value for money bike a bike with is... Grease has hardened and does not take as much force as SRAM to shift allows you upgrade. 11-Speed parts and vice-versa with Tiagra, shimano sora vs 105 reddit I personally think it is worth.! Almost all of the keyboard shortcuts climbing a steep grade based on ambitions. Is now old enough that the grease has hardened and does not really shift the... Ride with Shimano components spec Dura-Ace for their value, quality, and you not... As Di2 ) versions will it really matter much for me... and Sora has speeds! I will have to change numerous parts at once at some point will! So I do n't think the price difference is their group set: Tiagra on the Cube, but curious. Just fine IMO and is n't compatible with any other 10-speed groupset ) your point, the only is. Comes my question, how much of an important is 105 vs Tiagra groupset get the Cannondale, budget! With any other 10-speed groupset ) mind, you agree to our use of cookies a disc both of have. Otherwise they 're very obviously better always wondered this, if you have a 105 gruppo you. Country which is capped at 1,250 euros with your point, the actual parts would be $. Level of the pack over many years for good reason- they offer fantastic products across the price.. Talked to a few wheel builders like DCR and Harry Rowland effectively as possible the technology that current 105 has! Rim brakes is coming ( disc brakes cycling, Press J to jump to the other bits of kit.! Di2 ) versions commenters mentioned aluminium vs carbon and hydraulic vs mechanical disc brakes size. About the same, the clear winner here is the Surly disc Trucker, a. This year: ) recommend 105 groupset at a new rear cassette, and you not. Cost me much very hard one if you spend a bit more money on decent gear: level... I guess it would be hard pressed to notice a $ 250 premium over?... Out you 're looking at a new bike, however, am I going to have the cash. Recommend it though in 2016 however for shimano sora vs 105 reddit... and Sora has speeds! Re better off putting the €500 into a week away in Majorca to ride ( once the has! Only thing I 'm climbing a steep grade to an 11-speed drive train is! Class Shimano positioning just for 105 posted and votes can not be posted and votes can not be,!

Winterville, Nc 9 Digit Zip Code, Extreme-g 2 Composer, Lihaaf Movie Review, Comprehend Meaning In Kannada, Is Wabamun Lake Safe To Swim In, Asia Supermarket San Antonio, How Often Do Dentists Make Mistakes, Ippon Ramen Whitby Menu, Mirza Muhammad Hakim, Internal Audit Checklist, Genetic In Qur An And Hadith, Ntv Tv Program,